How do I treat dry mouth if I'm pregnant?

A dentist or doctor can determine if dry mouth, or xerostomia, is the result of dehydration, hyperglycemia, infection, or some other cause. Once the cause is determined, it can be treated more effectively. There are things you can try, too, especially if the cause of your dry mouth is not known:
  • Stay hydrated, and sip water throughout the day
  • Avoid food and drinks that you know dry out your mouth or can cause a diuretic effect, such as coffee or caffeinated soda or soft drinks
  • If you chew gum or mints, only use sugarless products
  • Saliva substitutes are sold over-the-counter at pharmacies nationwide
  • Over-the-counter fluoride mouth rinses may also help, under the guidance of your dentist

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

What dental medications are not safe to take if I am pregnant?
You should avoid taking sedatives in the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. These include midazo...
Can pregnancy make me susceptible to gingivitis?
Since pregnancy causes a change in hormones, it can make gingivitis worse. A buildup of tartar durin...
Can I take antibiotics for a dental procedure if I am pregnant?
Some antibiotics prescribed for dental procedures are considered safe if you are pregnant, others ar...
Is it safe for pregnant women to have dental work?
David A. Schwartz, DDSDavid A. Schwartz, DDS
There is no research that shows having dental procedures done while pregnant puts the fetus at risk ...