What dental medications are safe to take while I am nursing?

If you take medications, a very small amount of your dosage (roughly 1% to 2%) may be passed on to your baby through your breast milk. Although it is unlikely to  have an effect on your baby, you should be cautious and ask your dentist or doctor about the risks versus benefits. Babies who are older and weigh more may have less risk than newborns. You might be able to decrease the risk of drugs reaching your baby through breast milk by taking the drugs immediately after you have nursed, and then refraining from nursing again for four hours or longer. You should always consult with your dentist, pharmacist, and/or pediatrician about any hazards of medication in breast milk.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

If I am in my third trimester, what can I expect at my next dental visit?
During your third trimester, you should tell your dentist if you have had any pregnancy complication...
Could periodontal disease risk factors affect my pregnancy?
These risk factors include: Older age Bleeding of the gums, which can be a sign of gum disease...
Is it safe to see a dentist while pregnant?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
While you're busy with your pregnancy-related doctor's appointments, don't forget about the rest of ...
Does my dentist need to know if I am trying to become pregnant?
If you are planning to have a baby, both your doctor and your dentist should know. Although you migh...