What dental medications are not safe to take if I am pregnant?

You should avoid taking sedatives in the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. These include midazolam, lorazepam, and triazolam, all rated in the FDA category D.  Also avoid any antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone class. Other medications to avoid are codeine, hydrocodone, and oxycodone (rated C). Nitrous oxide (known as laughing gas) has not been rated by the FDA and its use in pregnancy is controversial, so you and your dentist may want to avoid it. Acetaminophen (Tylenol), as well as ibuprofen and naproxen, are rated category B and may be safe to use with your dentist's okay. Aspirin, however, is category C and should be avoided.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Is calcium lost from my teeth if I am pregnant?
A common myth surrounding pregnancy is that the body takes away calcium from the teeth because it ha...
Can I go to the dentist while I am pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you are pregnant, you need to be extra diligent with your oral hygiene. Listen as Dr. Maria L...
If I have a dental infection, could it infect my unborn baby?
Any infection in the body or mouth is a risk for a pregnant woman and her unborn child. Periodontal ...
Do pregnant women lose teeth during or after delivery?
This is simply not true. While the developing fetus does in fact need calcium, protein, and other nu...