If I have a dental infection, could it infect my unborn baby?

Any infection in the body or mouth is a risk for a pregnant woman and her unborn child. Periodontal disease are infections of the gums which is why women who are pregnant should see a dentist at least once during their pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Can morning sickness affect my dental health?
If you vomit your stomach acids can damage the enamel of your teeth. The"acid challenge" temporarily...
How does pregnancy affect oral health?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
During pregnancy, many women experience increased sensitivity and puffiness of the gums. Pregnancy c...
Do pregnant women lose teeth during or after delivery?
This is simply not true. While the developing fetus does in fact need calcium, protein, and other nu...
What dental medications are not safe to take if I am pregnant?
You should avoid taking sedatives in the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. These include midazo...