Can I have a dental x-ray if I'm pregnant?

Despite the extremely low radiation of dental x-rays, routine check-up x-rays are usually avoided during pregnancy if the expectant mother has received routine dental care, and is in good dental health. If the expectant mother is in pain, dental x-rays can be safely taken, but I advise using two lead aprons to shield the radiation.

Being pregnant comes with many responsibilities -- and oral hygiene is no exception. For most women, routine dental visits are safe during pregnancy, but let your dental office know what month you are in when you make your appointment. If yours is a high-risk pregnancy or you have some other medical condition, your dentist and your physician may recommend that treatment be postponed. 

It’s possible you’ll need an x-ray if you suffer a dental emergency like a broken tooth. Although, radiation from dental x-rays is extremely low, your dentist or hygienist will cover you with a leaded apron that minimizes exposure to the abdomen. Your dental office will also cover your throat with a leaded thyroid collar to protect the thyroid from radiation.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Can pregnancy make me susceptible to gingivitis?
Since pregnancy causes a change in hormones, it can make gingivitis worse. A buildup of tartar durin...
Are bleeding gums during pregnancy normal?
Many pregnant women develop a condition called pregnancy gingivitis; the gums are swollen and bleed ...
How does pregnancy affect oral health?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
During pregnancy, many women experience increased sensitivity and puffiness of the gums. Pregnancy c...
Is calcium lost from my teeth if I am pregnant?
A common myth surrounding pregnancy is that the body takes away calcium from the teeth because it ha...