Can I have a dental x-ray if I'm pregnant?

Being pregnant comes with many responsibilities -- and oral hygiene is no exception. For most women, routine dental visits are safe during pregnancy, but let your dental office know what month you are in when you make your appointment. If yours is a high-risk pregnancy or you have some other medical condition, your dentist and your physician may recommend that treatment be postponed. 

It’s possible you’ll need an x-ray if you suffer a dental emergency like a broken tooth. Although, radiation from dental x-rays is extremely low, your dentist or hygienist will cover you with a leaded apron that minimizes exposure to the abdomen. Your dental office will also cover your throat with a leaded thyroid collar to protect the thyroid from radiation.

Despite the extremely low radiation of dental x-rays, routine check-up x-rays are usually avoided during pregnancy if the expectant mother has received routine dental care, and is in good dental health. If the expectant mother is in pain, dental x-rays can be safely taken, but I advise using two lead aprons to shield the radiation.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Do pregnant women need to visit the dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Yes, you should continue to see your dentist during pregnancy for oral examinations and professional...
If I have a dental infection, could it infect my unborn baby?
Any infection in the body or mouth is a risk for a pregnant woman and her unborn child. Periodontal ...
Can I go to the dentist while I am pregnant?
If you need to schedule a dental visit during your pregnancy, it is best to set up the appointment ...
How do I treat dry mouth if I'm pregnant?
A dentist or doctor can determine if dry mouth, or xerostomia, is the result of dehydration, hypergl...