Is calcium lost from my teeth if I am pregnant?

A common myth surrounding pregnancy is that the body takes away calcium from the teeth because it has greater needs. However, your teeth do not provide the nutrition for your baby - your diet does. If you are not eating enough foods that contain calcium, your body actually uses stores from your bones, not your teeth. Many dairy products such as milk and cheese have a high concentration of calcium. If you are pregnant, you should be taking prenatal vitamins, which also will provide some calcium. Other supplements can be recommended by your doctor or dentist.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Do pregnant women get more cavities?
It is not clear whether pregnant women get more cavities than anyone else. But pregnant women who cr...
Is it safe to see a dentist while pregnant?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
While you're busy with your pregnancy-related doctor's appointments, don't forget about the rest of ...
Is it safe for pregnant women to have dental work?
David A. Schwartz, DDSDavid A. Schwartz, DDS
There is no research that shows having dental procedures done while pregnant puts the fetus at risk ...
Do pregnant women need to visit the dentist?
Roughly 6 million women become pregnant each year and at least half of them will visit their dentist...