When should I see my doctor about vaginal bleeding during pregnancy?

If a patient experiences vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, this is not always normal. A patient should be aware that this could be a sign of a miscarriage. However, people can experience vaginal bleeding and it doesn't mean that they are going to experience a miscarriage.

If you have vaginal bleeding that is just spotting, maybe after intercourse, that doesn't necessarily mean that anything bad is going to happen. You particularly need to be evaluated by your obstetrician if you have bleeding more than a pad an hour, and particularly if it is more than two pads an hour. If you are getting lightheaded or dizzy, then you absolutely need to be seen by a doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
What is the treatment for a high-risk pregnancy?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
According to UCLA maternal and fetal medicine specialist Daniel Kahn, MD, PhD, collaboration is esse...
If I have preeclampsia, will I need a C-section?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Preeclampsia is a condition characterized by maternal high blood pressure and protein in the urine. ...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children