When should I see my doctor about vaginal bleeding during pregnancy?

If a patient experiences vaginal bleeding during pregnancy, this is not always normal. A patient should be aware that this could be a sign of a miscarriage. However, people can experience vaginal bleeding and it doesn't mean that they are going to experience a miscarriage.

If you have vaginal bleeding that is just spotting, maybe after intercourse, that doesn't necessarily mean that anything bad is going to happen. You particularly need to be evaluated by your obstetrician if you have bleeding more than a pad an hour, and particularly if it is more than two pads an hour. If you are getting lightheaded or dizzy, then you absolutely need to be seen by a doctor immediately.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
Can pregnancy be dangerous?
Most pregnancies are healthy and do not cause lasting or serious problems for the baby or the mother...
What are the treatment options for polyhydramnios?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Doctors can provide medication that will reliably decrease production of amniotic fluid; however, th...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children