When will I deliver the placenta?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The placenta is delivered during the third stage of labor. The third stage of labor incorporates the time from the delivery of the infant to the delivery of the placenta. During this stage, the uterus rises upward in the abdomen as the placenta detaches from the uterine wall. A sudden trickle or gush of bright red blood appears as the placenta separates from the uterine wall. The uterus assumes a globe shape as the placenta is delivered and the third stage of labor is completed.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

how is polyhydramnios diagnosed ?
Diagnosis of polyhydramnios is based on the pregnant woman presenting with characteristic clinical s...
what are the symptoms of polyhydramnios ?
Polyhydramnios is the presence of too much amniotic fluid in the uterus. The most common symptoms of...
should i talk to my doctor if i have a discharge of amniotic fluid ?
Leakage of amniotic fluid at any point during a pregnancy needs to be discussed with the healthcare ...
what is a pregnancy mask ?
The mask of pregnancy is a darkening of the skin of the cheeks and forehead during the second half o...