What is hyperemesis?

Pregnant women who have hyperemesis gravidarum experience severe morning sickness symptoms; they can't keep anything down and can get dangerously dehydrated. Watch OB/GYN specialist Lauren Streicher, MD, describe the risks of this rare condition.
If you're unable to take and keep down and liquids for more than 24 hours, it may be a sign that you suffer from a condition called hyperemesis (meaning, you vomit a lot). It's a fairly rare condition (happens in about 1 to 2 percent of pregnancies), and some women who suffer from it have to be admitted to the hospital to be rehydrated. Nobody knows the cause, but risk factors include multiple pregnancies, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and women with a history of motion sickness. The point: Not all sickness is a "ride it out" kind of problem, and if you sense something feels off with your nausea, it's worth checking out.

Severe nausea can also be a sign of a molar pregnancy.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Hyperemesis gravidarum is an extreme case of morning sickness. Hyperemesis gravidarum is characterized by dehydration and weight loss.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What is cervical incompetence?
An incompetent cervix, also called cervical insufficiency or an insufficient cervix, is a cervix tha...
How can I avoid pregnancy complications if I have migraines?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
The best way to reduce your risk of rare pregnancy-related complications if you have migraines is to...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children