What increases my risk for retained placenta?

You may be at increased risk for retained placenta if you have had previous episodes of retained placenta. Other risk factors include age (30 and up), preterm delivery (24-28 weeks), abnormalities of the uterus, multiple past pregnancies, a low lying placenta, and uterine fibroids. If your placenta is small, you may also be at increased risk for retained placenta.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
If I have preeclampsia, will I need a C-section?
Dr. Mary Chappell, MDDr. Mary Chappell, MD
If you are diagnosed with preeclampsia, depending on severity and gestational age, delivery may be r...
What is a nuchal cord?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
A nuchal cord occurs when the umbilical cord encircles the fetal head. It is sometimes referred to a...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children