What increases my risk for placenta accreta?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, you may be at increased risk for placenta accreta:
  • Have you ever had a C-section?
  • Have you ever had any other surgery in which the uterus was affected (such as fibroid removal)?
  • Have you been diagnosed with placenta previa in this pregnancy?
  • Are you older than 35?
  • Have you had several previous pregnancies?
  • Have you been diagnosed with any disorders of the uterine lining, like fibroids beneath the lining or Asherman's syndrome?
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The most significant risk factor for placenta accreta is the presence of placenta previa. Other risk factors are history of cesarean births, previous uterine surgery, uterine scars, history of uterine scraping (i.e. dilation and curettage procedure) and a thin uterine decidua.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What causes preeclampsia?
We don't know what causes preeclampsia, but there are several theories, including: Not enough bl...
Can I still have sex if I have a low lying placenta?
If you have been diagnosed with a low-lying placenta you should ask your doctor if sex is okay. It d...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children