What increases my risk for hyperemesis gravidarum?

Morning sickness, or mild cases of nausea and vomiting, occurs in the majority of all pregnant women. About two percent of all pregnant women experience hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe case of morning sickness that can cause dehydration and weight loss. If you experienced hyperemesis gravidarum in a previous pregnancy, you are at increased risk of developing it again. Other possible risk factors are being pregnant for the first time, carrying multiples, being overweight and your diet.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
How does placental abruption affect my child?
During placental abruption, the baby is not able to get enough oxygen because the placenta has come ...
How is hyperemesis gravidarum treated?
Hyperemesis gravidarum is a very rare and severe form of morning sickness that causes dehydration an...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children