What do doctors do when a woman is in premature labor?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

When a woman presents with preterm labor in the hospital, the care team will hydrate the woman and give her magnesium sulfate if she is a candidate or other medications to slow down contractions and slow or stop the labor. In true preterm labor, the cervix will continue to dilate and the baby will deliver, no matter how far along the pregnancy is. Docs try to slow down the labor process to buy enough time to give you steroids, which help mature the baby's lungs. It takes between 7 and 10 days of steroids to get lungs mature before the 37th week.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
What causes a pregnancy mask?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
While the exact cause of melasma is unknown, it is thought that pregnancy, oral contraceptives, ...
What are the signs and symptoms of preterm labor?
SwedishSwedish
The symptoms of preterm labor include: Pelvic pressure (a feeling of the baby moving down) Low...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children