What are complications of pregnancy?

There are a number of conditions that can complicate a pregnancy. Some of the more common are:

• Premature labor or the onset of labor contractions before the 38th week of the pregnancy.
  • Placenta previa or when the placenta implants in the lower part of the uterus and may lead to vaginal bleeding in the second half of the pregnancy
  • Preeclampsia or a condition of high blood pressure, protein in the urine and excessive fluid retention occurring in the latter half of the pregnancy.
  • Gestational diabetes or glucose intolerance during pregnancy.

All of these complications can impact the health and well-being of both the mother and the developing fetus.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
Can I still have sex if I have a low lying placenta?
If you have been diagnosed with a low-lying placenta you should ask your doctor if sex is okay. It d...
What causes preeclampsia?
We don't know what causes preeclampsia, but there are several theories, including: Not enough bl...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children