What causes chorioamnionitis?

Chorioamnionitis is caused by introduction of bacteria into the womb. These bacteria usually "swim" up the genital tract to the uterus, so a vaginal infection such as vaginosis or an STD can be the source of the bacteria. The use of internal fetal monitoring devices and premature rupture (that is, rupture that occurs before labor begins) of the membranes around the baby can also introduce microorganisms into the uterus.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
Why is there a lump in my baby's skin near the belly button?
The umbilical artery that connected mom and child passes thru the abdominal wall. After the cord has...
How do I know if methotrexate is the right treatment for ectopic pregnancy?
Stephen K. Montoya, MDStephen K. Montoya, MD
Many criteria involve choosing between surgery and use of methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy, says S...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children