What can I do if I have varicose veins during pregnancy?

During pregnancy blood volume increases greatly. This can cause veins to enlarge. Plus, pressure on the large veins behind the uterus causes the blood to slow in its return to the heart. For these reasons, varicose veins in the legs and anus (hemorrhoids) are more common in pregnancy.

Varicose veins look like swollen veins raised above the surface of the skin. They can be twisted or bulging and are dark purple or blue in color. They are found most often on the backs of the calves or on the inside of the leg.

• Avoid tight knee-highs.

• Sit with your legs and feet raised

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What do doctors do when a woman is in premature labor?
When a woman presents with preterm labor in the hospital, the care team will hydrate the woman and g...
What are the symptoms of placental abruption?
The symptoms of placental abruption are acute, intense abdominal pain, uterine tenderness, sudden ch...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children