Should I talk to my doctor if I have a discharge of amniotic fluid?

Yes, leakage of amniotic fluid at any point during a pregnancy needs to be discussed with the healthcare team. The leakage of amniotic fluid is a sign that the integrity of the amniotic sac/membrane has been interrupted. When there is a tear or leak in the membrane there is the potential for maternal and/or fetal infection as bacteria ascend and enter the intrauterine cavity. Therefore a physician needs to assess the situation and implement a plan of care based on the gestation of the pregnancy and the overall status of the woman and fetus.

Frederick Friedman, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Yes. Leakage of amniotic fluid at any gestational age is a situation that requires evaluation. While at term, it may precede labor, it may also be a sign of infection. It is especially important for emergent evaluation if it occurs before 37 weeks.

Talk to your doctor immediately if you experience any leaking amniotic fluid because it may indicate a variety of conditions, including early labor and oligohydramnios. If you start to experience contractions which intensify periodically, you should go to the hospital as soon as possible and prepare for delivery. If you experience a discharge of fluid, but are unsure as to what it is, contact your physician immediately to determine its cause. After the amniotic sac is ruptured, irrelevant of its cause, it becomes easier for you to get infected. While you are leaking amniotic fluid, it is important to avoid any activities that could cause bacteria to enter your vagina, such as sex.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
What foods should I eat to prevent anemia during pregnancy?
Dr. Kevin S. Jensen, MDDr. Kevin S. Jensen, MD
Kevin Jensen, MD, from St. Mark's Obstetrics and Gynecology Associates, says many foods, like red me...
How can I avoid edema during pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Edema is the abnormal accumulation of excess fluid in the tissue spaces most commonly in the pregnan...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children