What are the risks of having a big baby?

While it may seem like it's no big deal for your baby to pack a few extra pounds on at birth, having a big baby (often caused when the mom has gestational diabetes) can pose risks for you and your child.

First, husky babies make more fat cells in utero. So now, the big baby is not only prone to being overweight as a child, but he's also prone to storing fat as he gets older.

He may also be more likely to overeat throughout his life. Big babies learn to forecast their future environments while in your belly. Too many calories conditions them to expect overabundance and to indulge in a fat-filled life that comes with all of the fixings that complicate it.

Your OB may want to deliver a bit earlier than the due date if she thinks the baby is getting too big for your britches. And because lung development may not be complete if the baby is delivered early, premature delivery places him at risk for breathing problems after birth. You're also opening yourself up to more potential complications at birth like stalled labor and cesarean section.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What is placental abruption during labor and birth?
Dr. Deborah Raines, MSNDr. Deborah Raines, MSN
Placental abruption is the separation of the placenta from the uterine wall before the birth of the ...
Can pregnancy be dangerous?
Most pregnancies are healthy and do not cause lasting or serious problems for the baby or the mother...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children