Why am I more vulnerable to blood clots during pregnancy?

Uterine veins dilate up to 60 times larger than normal during pregnancy. The hormone relaxin helps relax the artery beds, and estrogen causes the cells lining your arteries to secrete nitric oxide to open them up. This dilation insures that blood runs freely to and from your uterus - to supply nutrients, drain waste, and create the perfect little darling who soon will be throwing peas on the floor. All of that arterial blood comes back to your heart by flowing into dilated veins. Because blood pressure is lower in veins than in arteries, and the walls of the veins are already loosened, there is a chance that blood can pool or stagnate in the presence of elevated estrogen levels,putting you at risk for clots.

In addition, fibrinogen, which is increased by estrogen, works like cement between bricks - to clot blood and slow down or shut off blood flow. In the grand scheme, you need this slowdown mechanism to prevent you from hemorrhaging during pregnancy and delivery. But as you can guess, this quick-fix mechanism means you have an increased tendency to clot during pregnancy.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What causes preterm labor?
Megan BorgnaMegan Borgna
Researchers are not entirely sure what causes preterm labor (PTL), but many risk factors have been i...
Is a cryptic pregnancy dangerous to the mother or the baby?
Jessica A. Shepherd, MDJessica A. Shepherd, MD
Because cryptic pregnancies are diagnosed so far along into a pregnancy, it can be dangerous to mom ...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children