What increases my risk for a low lying placenta?

A low lying placenta can happen to any pregnant woman. And, in most cases, the placenta will actually shift away from the cervix completely, resolving the condition. If the placenta is lying so low that it can be classified as placenta previa, then having had a previous uterine surgery, carrying more than one baby, smoking, and being older than 35 may increase your risk for this more serious condition.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
Why am I more vulnerable to blood clots during pregnancy?
Uterine veins dilate up to 60 times larger than normal during pregnancy. The hormone relaxin hel...
How can high blood glucose during pregnancy affect my baby?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Studies have shown that you can have a healthy baby if your blood glucose levels are in the targ...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children