How should treatment for hypothyroidism change while pregnant?

Mary Chappell
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Thyroid medication needs can increase during pregnancy as weight and plasma volume increase.  I check my patient's thyroid levels pre pregnancy if possible to be in good control at conception.  I then check a free T4 every trimester and adjust meds accordingly.  TSH levels are not accurate in pregnancy due to cross reactivity with the pregnancy hormone HCG.  You must check free T4.  Under controlled thyroid can cause mental development delays in children so it is VERY important to stay on your thyroid meds and adjust them as needed!
In pregnancy, women who start out with hypothyroidism typically need to increase their thyroid hormone dosages by 50 percent because the increased estrogen produces an increased level of a protein that binds thyroid hormone - meaning even less thyroid hormone will be available for the mother.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What can increase the risk of developing anemia during pregnancy?
Poor nutrition increases your risk of developing anemia, especially if you have multiple vitamin...
What is a pregnancy mask?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Because of hormonal changes in a pregnant woman, the skin on her face will sometimes darken, for...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children