How can I reduce varicose veins during pregnancy?

Varicose veins develop when the veins in the legs get weak and enlarge with blood. They can be more of a problem for women having their second or third child, but even a first-time mother should do everything she can to aid instead of hinder circulation. Exercise will help, such as taking short walks at different times of day. Support pantyhose also can help, but avoid tight clothing such as knee-highs, which cut off circulation further. Do not stand without moving for long periods of time, and try to rest periodically with your legs up.
Varicose veins are veins in your calves, thighs and vagina that become swollen and painful during pregnancy. They get worse if you have to stand for long periods.

The best remedy is to wear support stockings. Lying on your side or sitting with your legs elevated can also help. If you must stand for a long time, move around as much as possible and lift your heels or toes to increase circulation to your legs.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What are the signs and symptoms of preterm labor?
SwedishSwedish
The symptoms of preterm labor include: Pelvic pressure (a feeling of the baby moving down) Low...
If I have preeclampsia, will I need a C-section?
Dr. Mary Chappell, MDDr. Mary Chappell, MD
If you are diagnosed with preeclampsia, depending on severity and gestational age, delivery may be r...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children