How is premature rupture of membranes diagnosed?

Diagnosis of premature rupture of the membranes (PROM) is based on patient presentation and collection of clinical data.  

Patients with PROM present with leakage of fluid, vaginal discharge, and pelvic pressure, but they are not having contractions.

Clinical data to diagnose PROM is a speculum examination of the vaginal cavity. During this examination the presence of pooling of fluid in the vagina or leakage of fluid from the cervix, ferning of the dried fluid under microscopic examination, and alkalinity of the fluid as determined by Nitrazine paper confirm the diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
What is pregnancy-induced hypertension?
Pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH) is defined as the development of new onset hypertension in a pr...
How can I avoid pregnancy complications if I have migraines?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
The best way to reduce your risk of rare pregnancy-related complications if you have migraines is to...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children