How is premature rupture of membranes (PROM) managed?

Louise E. Sivak, MD
Pediatrics

There is no way to repair the rupture itself. The mother and fetus are monitored for any sign of infection, and fetal heart rate is monitored. Further treatment, such as induction of labor, depends on the specifics of the pregnancy including gestational age, presence of maternal infection or illness, and any fetal distress.

The first thing that you should do to manage premature rupture of membranes is see your doctor immediately for treatment. Your doctor may prescribe antibiotics intravenously and then orally to treat infection and to delay the delivery of your baby, and possibly corticosteroids to help the baby's lung development. You should make sure that you eat nutritious meals daily, follow your doctor's prenatal advice (including bed rest if recommended), and attend all of your scheduled prenatal appointments.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What are the signs and symptoms of preterm labor?
SwedishSwedish
The symptoms of preterm labor include: Pelvic pressure (a feeling of the baby moving down) Low...
Is it bad if I bleed when I am pregnant?
Mary ChappellMary Chappell
I never consider bleeding during pregnancy normal. Common? Yes. Main point is to find out why you ar...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children