How does placental abruption affect the body?

Placental abruption causes the placenta to come away from the uterine wall before time. When this happens, the mother may have  vaginal bleeding that prompts an emergency visit to the hospital. Too much bleeding, or hemorrhage, could lead to shock. Also, in some cases, blood vessels begin to clot, the kidneys may shut down, and bleeding could seep into the uterine wall if placental abruption occurs.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
How do I know if methotrexate is the right treatment for ectopic pregnancy?
Stephen K. Montoya, MDStephen K. Montoya, MD
Many criteria involve choosing between surgery and use of methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy, says S...
How can I prevent varicose veins during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Varicose veins are a common complaint in pregnancy, and they result from increased pressure in the v...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children