How is placenta accreta diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Placenta accreta may or may not be diagnosed before delivery. If you are at risk for it, though, doctors will perform an ultrasound, abdominally and/or vaginally, to take a closer look at where the placenta meets the uterine wall. If an ultrasound cannot detect the condition, though, your doctor may use an MRI or a Doppler flow study to make the diagnosis. Otherwise, the diagnosis comes at delivery when the placenta will not come away from its place of attachment in the uterus.
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

During pregnancy the suspicion of placenta accreta is based on a history of pervious cesarean births, uterine surgeries such as myomectomy or repeated D&C. A Doppler ultrasound and an MRI can give additional data of a suspected abnormal placenta, but do not provide a certain diagnosis. After birth, placenta accrete is suspected when the placenta does not spontaneously separate and does not separate in response to medications or manual attempts to remove it. The only definitive diagnosis is by pathologic examination of the placenta uterine interface to demonstrate adherence of the myometrial tissue to the maternal surface of the placenta.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
How do I manage my low lying placenta during my pregnancy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Follow your doctor's orders closely if you have a low-lying placenta. Depending on where you are in ...
What can increase the risk of developing anemia during pregnancy?
Poor nutrition increases your risk of developing anemia, especially if you have multiple vitamin...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children