How do other illnesses affect oligohydramnios?

Maternal chronic illness can cause a low level of amniotic fluid during pregnancy (oligohydramnios), among other pregnancy complications. For example, a woman with diabetes whose blood sugar is not under control risks oligohydramnios during pregnancy because extra glucose levels can cause the fetus to produce more insulin, making it grow too large for its stage of development (macrosomia). Similarly, women with high blood pressure during pregnancy run a higher risk of premature birth, low birth weight, and even stillbirth of their fetus. Lupus is another serious disease that can cause pregnancy complications such as oligohydramnios. Lupus causes the immune system to attack healthy tissue and can also cause high blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
Should I delay my pregnancy because of the Zika virus?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
You do not have to delay your pregnancy because of the Zika virus if you live in the United States. ...
Should I be worried about amniotic sac disorders?
There is a lot to worry about when you are pregnant. Amniotic sac disorders are not common and there...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children