How can high blood glucose during pregnancy affect my baby?

Studies have shown that you can have a healthy baby if your blood glucose levels are in the target range. But if blood glucose stays high during pregnancy, babies can grow too large, making a vaginal delivery more difficult. In addition, they can have health problems at birth, such as breathing problems or blood glucose levels that are too low. Other conditions, such as a low level of calcium in the blood, jaundice (yellowing of the skin), and an abnormal increase in red blood cells, also can occur. Your doctor can do special tests after delivery to check for problems.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What should I know about pre-term contractions during pregnancy?
You can experience contractions even in the first trimester as your body adjusts to the pregnancy. S...
What are my risks of having preterm labor?
Johnston-Willis Hospital - HCA VirginiaJohnston-Willis Hospital - HCA Virginia
Doctors are aware of many maternal risk factors for prematurity, including, but not limited to, enla...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children