What do I need to know when caring for someone with oligohydramnios?

If someone you know has low levels of amniotic fluid during pregnancy, or oligohydramnios, you can help them by encouraging them to drink plenty of fluids to re-hydrate themselves. You can also help by encouraging them to eat a healthy diet, to make sure that their placenta is providing the fetus with enough nutrients. If the doctor has advised bed rest, make sure you both know what that entails; restrictions on activities vary. You may be asked to do tasks to help out, and you may need to make sure the woman follows her doctor's instructions. Other than that, it is important that they check in with their doctor frequently to help monitor their health and the health of the fetus, in order to determine if they need further treatment or induced labor. If someone's oligohydramnios is caused by a premature tear in the amniotic sac, which can be characterized by a discharge of leaking amniotic fluid, it is important to advise them against activities that can cause bacteria to enter the vagina, including sex.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What Every Woman Needs to Know About Preeclampsia
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the United States each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can h...
How can I prevent incontinence during or after pregnancy?
Pregnancy can weaken pelvic muscles, which in turn can lead to urinary incontinence. Exercising ...
How can I prevent varicose veins during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Varicose veins are a common complaint in pregnancy, and they result from increased pressure in the v...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children