How can I avoid pregnancy complications if I have migraines?

Dr. Dawn Marcus
Neurologist

The best way to reduce your risk of rare pregnancy-related complications if you have migraines is to keep yourself as healthy as possible and maintain good prenatal care. Controlling your headaches during pregnancy is important for you and your baby. If your migraines become severe, you may become very nauseated. Severe nausea can lead to dehydration and poor nutrition that can affect your baby.

Eat right, stay active and avoid harmful habits such as cigarette smoking. These are much bigger risk factors for high blood pressure and stroke than your migraines! If you do have a slight increase in your blood pressure, don't panic—your doctor may prescribe changes in your diet and routine to help get your blood pressure back down. Be sure to follow this advice—it's important for you and your baby!

The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
What causes a pregnancy mask?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
While the exact cause of melasma is unknown, it is thought that pregnancy, oral contraceptives, ...
What increases my risk for placenta previa?
Placenta previa occurs when the zygote implants in the lower uterine segment. Usually the zygote imp...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children