How can acute stress trigger premature delivery?

During periods of acute stress, adrenaline increases and this redistributes blood flow to your heart and brain from your uterus. In cases of extreme and unexpected periods of acute stress, decreased uterine blood flow can cause the fetus to panic, triggering premature delivery.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
How does placental abruption affect my child?
During placental abruption, the baby is not able to get enough oxygen because the placenta has come ...
If I'm pregnant, should I be worried about spotting?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you're pregnant, spotting and bleeding can be perfectly normal—or it can be a sign of troulbe. In...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children