How common are high blood pressure and preeclampsia in pregnancy?

High blood pressure problems occur in 6 percent to 8 percent of all pregnancies in the U.S., about 70 percent of which are first-time pregnancies. In 1998, more than 146,320 cases of preeclampsia alone were diagnosed.
Although the proportion of pregnancies with gestational hypertension and eclampsia has remained about the same in the U.S. over the past decade, the rate of preeclampsia has increased by nearly one-third. This increase is due in part to a rise in the numbers of older mothers and of multiple births, where preeclampsia occurs more frequently. For example, in 1998 birth rates among women ages 30 to 44 and the number of births to women ages 45 and older were at the highest levels in 3 decades, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Furthermore, between 1980 and 1998, rates of twin births increased about 50 percent overall and 1,000 percent among women ages 45 to 49; rates of triplet and other higher-order multiple births jumped more than 400 percent overall, and 1,000 percent among women in their 40s.
This answer is based on source information from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
How can pregnancy increase my risk for heart disease?
Pregnancy should not increase your risk for heart disease. However if you have an existing heart con...
What should I do if I have a high-risk pregnancy?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
A high-risk pregnancy isn’t something to be afraid of, but it is important to identify risks and cre...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children