Can I still have sex if I have a low lying placenta?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you have been diagnosed with a low-lying placenta you should ask your doctor if sex is okay. It depends on where exactly your placenta is positioned, and how early it is in your pregnancy. In a related condition called placenta previa, sex may lead to complications, like contractions and bleeding. And such complications may trigger an emergency delivery before you or your baby is ready.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What is a high-risk pregnancy?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
High-risk pregnancies occur in less than 10 percent of all pregnancies in the U.S. However, the comp...
How can pregnancy increase my risk for heart disease?
Kelly Anne Spratt, DOKelly Anne Spratt, DO
During the nine months of gestation, women can develop preeclampsia (the development of high blood p...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children