What is the difference between the disorders related to placenta accreta?

Placenta accreta, increta, and percreta are three similar types of pregnancy complications. In each type, the placenta is too far embedded into the uterine wall to come away normally after delivery of the baby. Placenta accreta is the most commonly occurring of the  three. It occurs when the placenta attaches deeply into the uterine wall but not beyond it. Placenta increta means that the placenta is attached to the uterine muscle. In cases of placenta percreta, the placenta has attached so far into the body that it has reached organs outside of the uterus, like the bladder.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What causes polyhydramnios?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Polyhydramnios has many possible causes. It can result from a pre-existing condition in the mother, ...
If I have preeclampsia, will I need a C-section?
Dr. Mary Chappell, MDDr. Mary Chappell, MD
If you are diagnosed with preeclampsia, depending on severity and gestational age, delivery may be r...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children