Can the risk of premature birth be decreased?

Unfortunately, the majority of babies delivered prematurely are not delivered to women identified as being at increased risk. Researchers are working on identifying those pregnancies well before they present in active preterm labor. Ultrasound evaluation of cervical length in the mid-trimester has promise to identify such women. Decreasing the risk of cervical surgery by immunizing women against human papillomavirus (HPV) and avoiding abnormal Pap smears may significantly impact the preterm delivery rate in years to come. Public education regarding the ill effects of tobacco use in pregnancy, the impact of obesity on pregnancy outcomes and the signs and symptoms of preterm birth may have a further role in decreasing infant prematurity rates.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
How can I prevent varicose veins during pregnancy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Varicose veins are a common complaint in pregnancy, and they result from increased pressure in the v...
How can I avoid pregnancy complications if I have migraines?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
The best way to reduce your risk of rare pregnancy-related complications if you have migraines is to...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children