Are birth defects possible with amniotic sac disorders?

It is possible for a baby to suffer from some birth defects if there is an amniotic sac disorder during the pregnancy. When there is too little amniotic fluid, the baby's lungs may not develop properly and there may be defects in the arms and legs as well. Another condition may arise where fiber-like bands that are a part of the amniotic sac could become entangled around part of the fetus, causing physical deformities in the fingers and toes, legs and arms, even in the face. Although the condition is rare, the blood supply is cut off to the areas where the bands are located, causing potentially serious injury.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
Should I delay my pregnancy because of the Zika virus?
Carrie L. Sloan, MDCarrie L. Sloan, MD
You do not have to delay your pregnancy because of the Zika virus if you live in the United States. ...
Is it bad if I bleed when I am pregnant?
Mary ChappellMary Chappell
I never consider bleeding during pregnancy normal. Common? Yes. Main point is to find out why you ar...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children