What is prednisone?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
Prednisone is a corticosteroid used to treat inflammatory conditions including severe allergic reactions, asthma, and polymyalgia rheumatica and temporal arteritis (two forms of arthritis/arthralgia mainly seen in older adults), and it also may be given after organ transplant, to help prevent rejection.

Prednisone is the generic name for a corticosteroid drug (original brand name Deltasone) that is used to fight inflammation associated with many conditions. Prednisone is usually used to treat allergic reactions, skin problems, breathing disorders, lupus, psoriasis, arthritis and colitis. Prednisone works by inhibiting the release of inflammation-causing chemicals in the body. This drug is available only by prescription.

Continue Learning about PredniSONE

If I am pregnant, is it safe to take prednisone?
It may not be safe to take the steroid drug prednisone during pregnancy. Researchers haven't stu...
What are the side effects of predisone?
Kent G. Meredith, MDKent G. Meredith, MD
Prednisone is a medication intended to replace or boost the body's own levels of corticosteroids. Th...
How does prednisone affect blood pressure?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Prednisone can increase sodium and water retention and increase your blood pressure. Therefore, sodi...
What should I do if I miss a dose of prednisone?
When you start taking prednisone, ask your doctor what to do if you miss a dose and write down t...