What are the side effects of predisone?

Kent G. Meredith, MD

Prednisone is a medication intended to replace or boost the body's own levels of corticosteroids. This class of hormones is extremely important and acts on a wide range of body functions. Therefore, the side effects of prednisone are equally wide-ranging. They include:

• immune system suppression and vulnerability to variety of infections
  • altered glucose metabolism with hyperglycemia and diabetes
  • altered water and electrolyte retention with swelling or edema

Long-term use can cause serious reduction in natural corticosteroid levels. Other long-term effects are:

• cataracts
  • impaired tissue growth including delayed healing and weakened joints
  • abnormal body fat metabolism

These are just a few of the common side effects; a comprehensive list should be consulted for more information.

Continue Learning about PredniSONE

What are the side effects of prednisone?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
Prednisone is a steroidal drug typically used to treat inflammatory bowel disease. Some of its prima...
Can I take prednisone if I am breastfeeding?
If you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed, talk to your doctor about whether it's safe ...
How does taking prednisone affect my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Prednisone is used for a variety of conditions such as asthma and other lung problems. It acts like ...
What is prednisone?
Prednisone is the generic name for a corticosteroid drug (original brand name Deltasone) that is...