What are the side effects of long-term prednisone use?

Side effects of long-term use of the steroid prednisone include an increased risk of eye problems such as cataracts and glaucoma. Long-term use can also raise your risk of osteoporosis, a condition in which your bones become brittle and your risk of fractures increases.

If you use prednisone for a long time, you may notice abnormal hair growth, thinning of your skin, acne, a loss of muscle mass and a change in the way your body fat is distributed. If you drink alcohol along with using this medication for a long time, you have an increased risk of stomach ulcers and bleeding in the digestive tract.

Continue Learning about PredniSONE

What high-sodium foods should I avoid while taking prednisone?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Prednisone can increase sodium and water retention and increase your blood pressure. Therefore, sodi...
What should I avoid while taking prednisone?
If you're taking prednisone, you should avoid getting any vaccines without your doctor's approva...
When can I stop taking prednisone?
When you can stop taking the steroid prednisone depends on why you're taking it and how you resp...
What are the side effects of predisone?
Kent G. Meredith, MDKent G. Meredith, MD
Prednisone is a medication intended to replace or boost the body's own levels of corticosteroids. Th...