Why do I need to know if I have prediabetes?

If you have prediabetes, you can and should do something about it. Studies have shown that people with prediabetes can prevent or delay the development of type 2 diabetes by up to 58 percent through changes to their lifestyle that include modest weight loss and regular exercise. The expert panel recommends that people with prediabetes reduce their weight by 5-10 percent and participate in some type of modest physical activity for 30 minutes daily. For some people with prediabetes, intervening early can actually turn back the clock and return elevated blood glucose levels to the normal range.

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

Could You Have Prediabetes Without Knowing It?
In Tom Cruise’s 2013 Jack Harper movie, Oblivion, it’s hard to know who was less hip to what was going on—Earth’s beleaguered inhabitants or their sup...
Who should get tested for prediabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you are overweight and age 45 or older, you should be checked for prediabetes during your next ro...
Prevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Prevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Find out how you can prevent diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes.
How to Create a Healthy Plate
How to Create a Healthy Plate