What can happen if prediabetes is left untreated?

If left untreated, 15 to 30 percent of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within five years. Individuals with prediabetes are at increased risk for developing cardiovascular disease and other health complications of type 2 diabetes.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

3 Tips to Defeat Prediabetes and Prevent Diabetes
Prediabetes and diabetes are rampant in the U.S., so in 2016, we offered several tips to help you get a handle on your glucose levels, if your blood s...
What should I eat if I have prediabetes?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
If you have prediabetes you need to watch your refined carbs and make sure you get plenty of hea...
Prevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Prevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Find out how you can prevent diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes.
How to Create a Healthy Plate
How to Create a Healthy Plate