What can happen if prediabetes is left untreated?

If left untreated, 15 to 30 percent of people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within five years. Individuals with prediabetes are at increased risk for developing cardiovascular disease and other health complications of type 2 diabetes.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

Don’t Let Prediabetes Turn Into a Health Crisis
 Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck were a pretty scary duo in Double Indemnity, but the carnage those conniving killers dished out is child’s play c...
Can exercise help improve my blood sugar levels if I have prediabetes?
Dana ArtinyanDana Artinyan
Exercise can definitely improve your blood sugar if you have prediabetes, but you may also need ...
Prevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Prevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Find out how you can prevent diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes.
Is Obesity Always a Risk Factor for Heart Disease?