What questions should I ask when getting a second opinion for diabetes?

What to ask when you get a second opinion from a doctor:
• What is the diagnosis and how was it determined?
• What treatments are available and which are most effective? Most risky? Most commonly used?
• What treatment do you suggest and why?
• What is the success rate for this treatment?
• Is the condition reversible?
• What are the potential side effects and complications of the treatment and how likely are they?
• Is the problem or treatment likely to affect my blood glucose levels?
• Will the treatment require hospitalization? For how long? Will I need follow-up care?
• Are there any additional costs associated with this treatment, such as repeated blood tests, physical therapy, or postoperative nursing care?
• Is this an experimental treatment? Will I be participating in research? Will I be part of a placebo/control group, or will I receive treatment? If this is the case, you may need to evaluate the potential risks and make sure they do not outweigh the benefits. If this is a research protocol, are more conventional treatments available should this one fail?

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

Let’s Not Close Our Eyes to Prediabetes
Let’s Not Close Our Eyes to Prediabetes
We think the suggestion from two experts at University College London and the Mayo Clinic, respectively, that doctors stop diagnosing prediabetes beca...
Does having prediabetes make it harder to lose weight?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Prediabetes is primarily a state of insulin resistance and a warning sign that you could develop...
Prevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Prevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Find out how you can prevent diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes.
Got Prediabetes? Get Tips to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes