How often should I be tested for prediabetes?

If your blood glucose levels are in the normal range, it is reasonable to be checked every 3 years. If you have prediabetes, you should be checked for type 2 diabetes every 1-2 years after your diagnosis.

Your healthcare provider will test for prediabetes using a hemoglobin A1c test, a blood test that measures your average blood glucose level over the last three months. If you fall into the prediabetes range of 5.8% to 6.4%, you will be tested every year.

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

what are the risk factors for prediabetes ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
While diabetes and prediabetes occur in people of all ages and races, some groups have a higher risk...
which children should be screened for diabetes ?
There are several instances in which children should be screened for diabetes. With the incidence of...
what are the symptoms of prediabetes ?
Prediabetes rarely has symptoms. Your blood glucose (blood sugar) level is higher than normal, but y...
how can i treat my prediabetes ?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Over 25 million American adults—about 8 percent of the population—have diabetes. Type 2 diabetes, wh...