How is prediabetes diagnosed?

Doctors can use either the fasting plasma glucose test (FPG) or the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to detect prediabetes. Both require a person to fast overnight. In the FPG test, a person's blood glucose is measured first thing in the morning before eating. In the OGTT, a person's blood glucose is checked after fasting and again 2 hours after drinking a glucose-rich drink.
Dana Artinyan
Prediabetes is diagnosed by a fasting blood sugar of 100 to 125 mg/dL.
Your doctor can look at a couple of things to diagnose prediabetes. The main thing usually used to diagnose this is a blood draw looking at your fasting blood sugar levels (typically after at least 8 hours without food or drinks other than water); between 100-125 mg/dl is considered prediabetes, and anything above this on two occasions is considered diabetes. Sometimes a hemoglobin A1C is also checked, which gives your average blood sugar level over a 3-month period. If this is between 5.7% and 6.4%, the person is also considered to have prediabetes.

Continue Learning about Prediabetes

Take Charge of Your Prediabetes With Great Results
In 2013, Tom Hanks admitted to David Letterman—and the world—that his doctor told him the moderately elevated glucose levels—or prediabetes—he’d had f...
What is considered borderline diabetes?
People who are borderline diabetics, or are in the prediabetes stage, have fasting blood glucose lev...
Prevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Prevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 StepsPrevent Diabetes in 9 Steps
Find out how you can prevent diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes.
How Can I Tell If I Have Prediabetes?
How Can I Tell If I Have Prediabetes?