Why is it important to lose weight if I have prediabetes?

If you have prediabetes, losing weight is an effective way to decrease your risk of diabetes. Studies have shown that losing 7% of your body weight can reduce your risk of developing diabetes by 58% if you have prediabetes.
Many adults with prediabetes are overweight. The good news is achieving and maintaining a weight loss of just 5% to 7% of your body weight (about 10 to 20 pounds) can delay or even prevent prediabetes from progressing to type 2 diabetes. Of course, this weight loss needs to be the result of increased physical activity plus healthy eating. Also, moderate weight loss may help lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol, as well as decrease the need for certain medications.

Continue Learning about Pre-Diabetes Prevention

How can I keep my blood sugar in a healthy range during the summer?
Keeping your blood sugar in a healthy range during the summer is much like during the rest of the ye...
Why should I exercise if I have prediabetes or type 2 diabetes?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You should exercise if you have prediabetes or type 2 diabetes because exercise helps reduce blood s...