How soon after taking potassium will my levels improve?

The time it takes for your potassium levels to improve depends on many factors. The type of potassium supplementation that you use, as well as your dose, will be decided by your doctor based on the reason for your potassium deficiency. Your doctor will see you for a number of follow-up visits, during which he or she may use laboratory tests to confirm that your treatment is working as desired.

Continue Learning about Potassium

How Potassium Can Help Prevent Heart Disease
If you were shopping in a grocery store in the 1940s, you wouldn’t recognize the bananas in the produce section. The Gros Michel species was shorter a...
What is the role of potassium in the body?
Potassium is what is known as an electrolyte, an electrically charged particle that is needed by the...
Can a high-potassium diet help lower my risk of stroke?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
People with diets high in potassium have lower blood pressures than those with potassium-poor diets,...
Why is potassium important in your diet?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Potassium plays a key role in blood pressure, muscle contraction, nerve impulses, kidney function an...