How does potassium help to keep my bones healthy?

Potassium helps maintain a healthy acid-alkaline balance in the body, leading to reduced calcium excretion. In a 2005 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, British researchers found that perimenopausal women (those in the several years preceding menopause) with the highest potassium intake had 8 percent greater bone-mineral density than those with the lowest intake. The researchers projected that if the women maintained their high intake into old age, they could lower their fracture risk by 30 percent.

Top potassium sources include bananas, spinach, broccoli, potatoes, kiwifruits and plantains.
Because potassium plays a buffering role in your blood, it helps keep the bone-strengthening minerals, calcium and phosphorus, from being lost from the bones and kidneys. Numerous studies suggest that having plenty of potassium in your diet helps increase the density, and thus the strength, of your bones.

While the current recommendation is for healthy Americans to consume 4,700 milligrams of potassium daily, males are consuming only 3,200 milligrams daily, whereas females fall even shorter, consuming only 2,400 milligrams a day, on average. The good news is that potassium is found in a variety of foods, with vegetables, fruits, low fat dairy foods, and legumes (dried peas and beans).

Continue Learning about Potassium

How Potassium Can Help Prevent Heart Disease
If you were shopping in a grocery store in the 1940s, you wouldn’t recognize the bananas in the produce section. The Gros Michel species was shorter a...
How soon after taking potassium will my levels improve?
The time it takes for your potassium levels to improve depends on many factors. The type of pota...
How much potassium should I get daily?
The recommended amount of potassium intake is 3,000 milligrams a day (in a balanced diet, you pr...
Can a high-potassium diet help lower my blood pressure?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
People with diets high in potassium have lower blood pressures than those with potassium-poor diets,...