What is the likelihood that I will suffer from potassium deficiency?

With abundant food sources of potassium, most people have no problems consuming enough. While the most extreme cases of potassium deficiency can lead to hypertension and congestive heart failure, this is a rare occurrence. However, it is important to note that those with diabetes or renal disease, and people on diuretics or laxatives, may more easily suffer from a potassium deficiency.

Continue Learning about Potassium

How Potassium Can Help Prevent Heart Disease
If you were shopping in a grocery store in the 1940s, you wouldn’t recognize the bananas in the produce section. The Gros Michel species was shorter a...
How much potassium do I need per day?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
While the current recommendation is for healthy Americans to consume 4,700 milligrams of potassium d...
Can a high-potassium diet help lower my blood pressure?
Research suggests that a diet plentiful in potassium lowers blood pressure, especially in salt-sensi...
How can potassium reduce stomach bloating?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
Having a lot of salt/sodium in our diet can cause increased bloating. When we eat potassium-rich fo...