What is the likelihood that I will suffer from potassium deficiency?

With abundant food sources of potassium, most people have no problems consuming enough. While the most extreme cases of potassium deficiency can lead to hypertension and congestive heart failure, this is a rare occurrence. However, it is important to note that those with diabetes or renal disease, and people on diuretics or laxatives, may more easily suffer from a potassium deficiency.

Continue Learning about Potassium

How Potassium Can Help Prevent Heart Disease
If you were shopping in a grocery store in the 1940s, you wouldn’t recognize the bananas in the produce section. The Gros Michel species was shorter a...
What can cause high levels of potassium in the blood?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Relatively few people develop high levels of potassium in the blood, since the kidneys are norma...
Can a high-potassium diet help lower my risk of stroke?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
While limiting the sodium in the diet is important to lower high blood pressure, a risk factor for s...
How can I increase my potassium intake?
While the current recommendation is for healthy Americans to consume 4,700 milligrams of potassium d...