How might dietary sources of potassium help heart health?

Studies have shown potassium may play a role in lowering blood pressure, and therefore, lowering the risk of heart disease. Fruits and vegetables are usually rich in potassium, as are some milk products and types of fish. If you want to increase your potassium intake, be sure to do so from dietary (food) sources, rather than from supplements, which can be harmful to some people. Fruits and vegetable sources of potassium are preferred over milk products and fish, as these sources may help with kidney stones and bone loss.

These food sources are especially high in potassium:
  • Potatoes and sweet potatoes
  • Cooked soybeans
  • Bananas
  • Apricots
  • Lentils, kidney beans, and split peas
  • Spinach

Continue Learning about Potassium

How Potassium Can Help Prevent Heart Disease
If you were shopping in a grocery store in the 1940s, you wouldn’t recognize the bananas in the produce section. The Gros Michel species was shorter a...
How can I increase my potassium intake?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
While the current recommendation is for healthy Americans to consume 4,700 milligrams of potassium d...
Why is potassium important in your diet?
Potassium is an important mineral with numerous functions in your body. Potassium is needed for heal...
Why does the body need potassium?
Potassium is an electrolyte with levels that are tightly controlled throughout the body, potassium p...