How does potassium help keep me young?

Four major studies have shown that increased potassium intake is linked to a decrease in the incidence of strokes and other kinds of arterial aging, too. (Three studies have shown decreased rates of heart attacks and peripheral vascular disease.) It's pretty clear that potassium prevents aging of the arteries.

If you already eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, supplementing that diet with the potassium equivalent of three bananas a day can make your RealAge (physiologic age) as much as 0.6 years younger in just three years.

Continue Learning about Potassium

How Potassium Can Help Prevent Heart Disease
If you were shopping in a grocery store in the 1940s, you wouldn’t recognize the bananas in the produce section. The Gros Michel species was shorter a...
How can I increase my potassium intake?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Most Americans have a potassium-to-sodium (K:Na) ratio of less than 1:2. In other words, they ingest...
Does potassium treat high blood pressure and prevent stroke?
Potassium is considered a possibly effective treatment for high blood pressure and stroke prevention...
Are muscle cramps and weakness sign of low potassium?
MediGuardMediGuard
Muscle cramps can be a sign of low potassium, and the only way to determine if you need an increase ...